FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. Is it possible for expatriate to have work permit more than one ?
Yes, it is possible for expatriate to have work permit more than one. Regarding the submission of double positions in work permit, expatriate should be stated in company legal documents, moreover sponsor company could be from different branch / group.
2. Do expatriate with Director/ Commissioner / Chief Representative who live abroad are required to have work permit ?
Yes, based on Ministry of Manpower No. 35 of 2015 regarding amendment of Ministry of Manpower No. 16 of 2015 on Expatriate procedure change to: Sponsor company who employ expatriate must have work permit since the date of Article of Incorporation issued. Furthermore, expatriate with structure of director who live abroad must process work permit before enter Indonesia.
3. Why is work permit period for expatriate in sector such as services, trade, and consultant could not get one year period visa ?
Based on Ministry of Manpower No. 464 of 2012, field of business in services, trade, and consultant sectors do not adsorb much employment oppurtinities for Indonesian workers. Generally position for expatriate for that sectors is advisor level, unless expatriate is one board of director then could apply for one year period visa.
4. Do sponsor company need to apply social security and health security ?
Yes, social security and health security is proof that employee in Indonesia is protected during working in Indonesia.
5. What kinds of position which is prohibited in Indonesia ?
Indonesia has many sectors which is available for expatriate to conduct activities in Indonesia. The position such as president director, director, chief representative, commissioner, finance manager, marketing manager, market research advisor, quality control advisor, and so on. However, there are some position which is prohibited for expatriate as below (based on Ministry of Manpower Regulation No. 40, 2012) :
a. Human resource
b. Employee career development
c. Job interviewer / job analyst / job training
d. Occupational / safety specialist
e. Legal department
6. How long expatriate could have work permit ?
Expatriate could have work permit for short period (6 months) ; if expatriate work in business sectors related to service, trade, consulting company, and machineray installation.
otherwise, expatriate could have work permit for long period (12 months) ; if expatriate's name is stated in legal company documents.
7. What means of sponsor company for expatriate need not do interviewing with Ministry of Manpower ?
One of step to get Approval from Ministry of Manpower is having interview with them. Ministry of Manpower would ask some questions regarding company sponsor who hiring expatriate. Company sponsor who hire director position such as Director, Commisioner, or Chief Representative need not to do expose with Manpower Ministry.
8. Who will be sponsor company for expatriate to enter Indonesia legally ?
Expatriate who will conduct to work in Indonesia should have sponsor by company. Based on Manpower Ministry regulation 2008 Article 2 ; Company sponsor who will guarantee expatriate as follow:
1. Representative office
2. Local company
4. Social, Education, Cultural Institution
9. What kinds of positions which is prohibited in Indonesia ?
Indonesia has many sectors available for expatriatet to conduct activities in Indonesia. The positions such as Director, Chief Representative office, President Director, Marketing Manager, Finance Advisor, so on. However, there are some positions which is prohibited for expatriate (Based on Manpower Ministry regulationNo 40, 2012) as below:
1. Human Resource
2. Employee Career Development
3. Job Interviewer / Job Analyst / Job Trainer
4. Occupation / Safety specialist
5. Legal Department